I was born in Cuzco, Peru and spent my early childhood years in the Peruvian Andes. Both my two sets of grandparents were farmers. My Peruvian grandparents had a long tradition of farming in the Vilcanota Valley-Sacred Valley of the Incas - and my German grandparents bought and moved to Hacienda Ccapanna in the vicinity of the Ausangate snow peak. Our family spent time in both farms. My exposure to ancient Andean cultural ways gave me great sensitivity to native people and their cosmovision. Growing up surrounded by mountains and animals developed in me a deep love and respect for nature.
My relationship with photography started at the age of 7, when I was given my first camera by my parents. I have been taking pictures ever since. And since then too, I have passed through many different classrooms at various schools and universities. Given the fact that creativity and imagination are key qualities to master any art, I must mention my gratitude,to all the institutions which provided a positive contribution in the development of such qualities: the British School of Caracas, Venezuela, the Sachsenwaldschule Gymnasium in Reinbek, Germany and the University of California in San Diego (UCSD) in the United States, where I deepened my knowledge of Photography, taking courses at the visual arts department.
To keep pace with technological advances and the advent of digital photography, I completed a Master in Digital Graphic Design at EOS Macstop in Lima, learning to use programs such as: Photoshop, Quark Xpress and Illustrator.
I have worked as a free-lance photographer for the following companies: Kimberly Clark, Serpar (Municipal Service for Parks and Gardens), Hotel Taypikala, Puno, Tiempos del Mundo Newspaper,Lima, Vía Láctea Magazine, Cuzco, Letrecorp (billboard business),Lima Gráfica Colorama, Lima Hotel La Casona de Yucay, Cuzco, Panez y Silva Consultants, Lima, Class Adventure Travel, Inca Sur, Cuzco, Banco de Crédito del Perú, Sol Alpaca, Peruvian Odyssey travel agency, Cuzco, among others.
My photographic work focuses in the area of visual anthropology in the Cuzco region. My specialty is recording landscapes, native Quechua communities, archaeology, urban and rural ethnography, Andean Cosmovision, religious festivities and syncretism between Catholic and Andean faith. I have available a comprehensive collection of high quality stock photographs depicting all these themes. I also have experience in advertising and studio photography.
Among my individual photographic exhibitions, I must mention “Cuzco, Devoción Mestiza” (Cuzco, mixed Devotion) in 2003, which was sponsored by former Banco Wiese, nowadays Scotiabank and a long term exhibition of this same collection of images at “Peru Artcrafts”, a major handicrafts store in Larcomar, Lima (2003-2005).
Two of my Q'oylluriti photographs were shown in a collective exhibition at the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian. "The Great Inka Road: engineering an Empire." (June 26, 2015-April 2018)
The following publications include some of my work:
- “Cocina Peruana: única y maravillosa” Simón Huapaya (Peruvian Cuisine), Lima 2000
- “Cuzco, el Lenguaje de la Fiesta” (Cuzco the Language of The Fiesta) Banco de Crédito del Perú, Lima 2009
- “Señores de los Imperios del Sol” (The Lords of the Empire of the Sun) Banco de Crédito del Perú, Lima 2010
- “Cuzco, desde la Nieve de la Puna al Verdor de la Amazonía” (Cuzco, from the Snows of the Puna to the Green of the Amazon) Banco de Crédito del Perú, Lima 2011
- “La Magia del Agua en el Lago Titicaca” (The Magic of Water in Lake Titicaca), Banco de Crédito del Perú, Lima 2012
- “Todo Peru” (All Peru) Tierra Firme Ediciones, 2012
Among my awards are:
- Honorary mention at the first Photography Contest in Miraflores “Miraflores, Destino Turístico”, Lima 1998
- Honorary Mention at Eugene Courret Photography Contest, sponsored by the French Embassy, Lima 2000
- NY Runner Magazine Contest, New York, USA, 2000
- Fondo de Población de las Naciones Unidas Contest, Lima 2001
I have obtained the following diplomas:
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Philosophy from Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA, 1993
- Literary Workshop with Alonso Cueto CC: PUCP, Lima 2000
- Storyboard Workshop with Luis Cárdenas, (Screenplay Graphic Expression) CC. PUCP, Lima 2000
- New York City Marathon, time: 5:15:04, NY 2000
- National Mountaineering Rescue Course (knots, systems, rappelling, first aid) Huaraz, 2000
- Screenplay Writing Workshop with Augusto Cabada, Cuzco 2007
Among my passions are horsebackriding and hiking. I love the outdoors and being in contact with nature and I am always thrilled to carry my loyal companion (nowadays a Canon EOS 5D) along in my expeditions.
I love to travel and go off the beaten path. Being able to communicate in Quechua has helped me in my explorations and travels. Speaking Spanish, English and German fluently has been helpful too. Meeting and talking to people from different cultures has been a joy in my life.
It is a pleasure to invite you to visit my virtual galleries at Flickr.
Ursula de Bary